Sunday, June 12, 2016

Visit to Monterey Bay Aquarium

This weekend I went to Monterey Bay Aquarium (MBA). We needed to take a long drive to get to Monterey Bay. On the way, we stopped at an elephant seal rookery. Many of the elephant seals were shedding their fur, others were sleeping, and others even scooched along the sand with their belly! There was even a female digging a hole.



It took all day to drive (not including the fact that we stopped at a taco stand- yum). By the time we made it, it was sunset. My Dad and I went out on the beach with our nets to see if we could catch anything. There was nothing on the beach to catch.



The next day we went to MBA. I created a collage out of the pictures I took at the aquarium. I created it on Picmonkey.com.









































The largest picture is a sea otter. Sea otters eat shellfish and break the shells open using rocks. The picture to the far right top is a picture of a school of sea nettles.  The picture below the jellyfish is filled with strawberry anemones (u-ne-mo-nees).  How many anemones do you think there are? The picture below the anemones is crabs crawling all over a rock. The picture left to the crab is a giant pacific octopus against the glass. It gives you a great look at an octopus' suction cups. The bottom picture left to the octopus is a garden of garden eels. A garden eel will burrow underground and stay inside a hole. Finally, above the garden eels there is one of the largest tanks in the world. It's the open ocean tank! A couple of open ocean creatures live in this huge tank like hammerhead sharks, yellowfin tuna, mackerel, mahi mahi, and even a huge school of 9,998 sardines (it started with 10,000, but the shark ate two).

Afterward, it took a whole day to drive home. But we got to drive along the coast. I read most of the way. The trip was an interesting experience.










12 comments:

  1. Dear Isaac, you are the guy to go to an aquarium with. You taught me so many things. What a great day!
    — Grandma Judi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sir Isaac,

    I am thrilled that you are still blogging! Aaron just wrote a post too about his new robot. You two can be blogging buddies!

    Your post about the Monterey Bay Aquarium is terrific! I recognize the jellyfish from my visit there. Perhaps you do too! It is the same ones that are in our Journeys A-Z video!

    I enjoyed the sea otters the most at the aquarium. They swam so fast through the water. They were like a bolt of lightening! (simile)

    Do you have any adventures planned for the summer?

    Your proud former teacher,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mrs. Yollis,
      Whenever you look at the sea lions in the tank, you think that they are the cutest animals in the world! And that's lots to say because there are approximately 4,300 mammals on the earth.
      sincerely,
      Sir Isaac II

      Delete
  3. Issac, this was a wonderful post. I enjoyed it so much. So glad to see you're blogging, even in the summer. Keep it up!
    Sincerely, an educator in Houston, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Issac, this is awesome and made me a little homesick. I am originally from Monterey and I love the aquarium. The otters are my favorite and I think they are the cutest!
    Can't wait to read more.
    Sincerely, a soon to be teacher in WA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Issac,
    I loved your blog about the aquarium. What was your favorite animal or creature? I personally love sea otters. One of the sites I like to look at to know about sea otters is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_otter. What is your favorite site? Is there anywhere you want to visit to see more sea creatures? Fantastic job!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir Issac,
    What a great storyteller you are! I have never been to the MBA and loved the preview you have posted! I especially like the videos of the seals. Using video in your blog makes it that much more interesting for your readers! Why do you think the female seal was digging a hole in the sand? Was she just looking for a more comfortable spot to rest?
    Keep on blogging my friend, you are great at it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear K:-],
      Actually, the female kept digging in the sand after the video. At the time, the seals seemed like the cutest thing in the world. But, that was before I saw the sea otters. Have you ever seen a seal?

      From,
      Sir Isaac II

      Delete
  7. Sir Isaac,
    Your blog is full of great information! I did not know that there was such a thing as an elephant seal and I learned that they actually have fur and shed it. I love the collage of pictures that you made and that you have explained a little about each featured animal. You have taught me a lot about animals that I had not previously learned, so thank you. It sounds like a fun trip! Try and travel every opportunity you have. The knowledge and experiences you will take in is invaluable. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sir Isaac,

    What a wonderful post! Visiting the aquarium is one of my favorite things to do because I love sea creatures. My favorites are definitely whales and sharks. Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I hope you plan to visit the aquarium again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Issac this sounds like it was a wonderful experience for you. I love the ocean and your post was a joy to read. I hope you are able to enjoy many more trips to the aquarium in the future. Good Job.

    Sincerely,
    A future educator from WA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isaac,

    This is a great post about your trip to Monterey Bay and the aquarium. It looks like you learned so much on your visit! The open ocean tank sounds like it was incredible with so many different kinds of aquatic animals in it. Keep up the great posts! I hope that you have the opportunity to go on more adventures this summer.

    Sincerely, a teacher in training in Spokane, Washington

    ReplyDelete